Saturday, November 30, 2013

Drop Dead Knock Off!

Ok, I'll admit it, I really like patterns.  There is something so comforting about following a set of instructions and knowing that in the end you will have a wearable garment that looks like the picture (well, for the most part). Unfortunately, I am frequently unable to find patterns that resemble the garments I see on Pinterest or on the street.  So, I'm going to take a deep breath and jump into the world of copying garments that I see.  The only other time I've tried this was with the Winter Blues sweater and that turned out ok.  So, here is my latest experiment.

This is what I was trying to get to:
 When I saw this on Pinterest I knew I had to have it.  I have the perfect knit in my stash.  It's an Anne Klein wool blend that I bought at the Mill End Store last fall.  It's unbelievably soft for a wool and I think it will be perfect for this pattern.  Now, the challenge is finding a pattern that resembles this sweater.  I was in a hurry to start and must admin that I didn't spend a great deal of time in pattern recruitment and so I probably made up for that in alterations, but I'm ok with that, as it's always good experience.

I was able to find a pattern for a polo shirt in an old Burda mag (April 2008).  Here is the line drawing:

I copied the majority of the pattern pieces and because the sleeve has a band that is actually part of the armhole, I had to draft a new sleeve that included the band.  Here are both pieces together and the subsequent piece that I drafted (also note that the sleeve was extended to a total of 9" from shoulder to hemline).

I also had to add some width to the front as well, as it was originally intended to have a band.  I eliminated the seam allowance for the front as it will be cut in one piece on the fold.  The next step was to extend the neckline into a funnel collar.  I didn't want to add too much height, so I chose to add 1 1/2". I referenced Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph Armstrong as I have not previously modified for a funnel collar.

Additionally, after these changes had been made, I made a muslin using some knit that I had lying around and realized that I desperately needed a full bust adjustment and I had to add a smidge to the armhole/side area in both the back and front.   
Finally!!!  The sewing.  Over the holiday weekend, I took some time from family and friends to finish the sweater and I love it! It's comfortable, breathable, and fits like a glove.

No comments:

Post a Comment